This section tells you how to manage people with stress 'in-house' and when and how to refer them on.

Managing people 'in-house'

Seeking outside help

Specific professionals

Professional health associations

Managing people 'in-house'

There is help for employees on stress at work on the HSE website.

Seeking outside help

  • The following guidance on seeking help from outside professionals is available:
  • HSE’s free leaflet Getting specialist help with health and safety
  • If you need to source local occupational health providers, your local HSE office should be able to help. Information on tax rules when purchasing occupational health support is also available
  • In the factsheet Occupational health and organisational effectiveness, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) explains what an occupational health provider should deliver
  • The Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FOM) has produced Guidance for employers on engaging an occupational physician
  • If you need help with case management, more information is available from The Case Management Society UK
  • The Peninsula Medical School literature review,  'Avoiding long-term incapacity for work: developing an early intervention in primary care' provides an evidence base for early intervention in sickness absence and discusses factors influencing referrals to return-to-work interventions

Specific professionals

The Society of Occupational Medicine helps you to find an occupational physician

The Counselling Directory provides a list of counsellors and psychotherapists

The World Health Organization explains what an occupational health nurse does

Information on professional nursing organisations is available from the Association of Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners and the Royal College of Nursing

The British Psychological Society describes the main types of psychologist, their qualifications and primary activities

The British Psychological Society provides a Directory of Chartered Psychologists who provide services to the public. This database is searchable by location and area of specialism

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) provides a database of BACP-accredited therapists

Professional Health Associations

British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)

British Association of Occupational Therapists and College of Occupational Therapists

British Psychological Society

British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine

Case Management Society UK

Commercial Occupational Health Providers Association

Faculty of Occupational Medicine

Institute of Occupational Medicine

Society of Occupational Medicine

Back to the top

Developed in partnership with:

COPE logo

Stress | Musculoskeletal | Occupational cancer | Skin disorders | Inhalation | Non-work related conditions