Pub landlord burned in fryer blast
Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2011
A pub landlord suffered 40% burns after a fryer overheated and exploded in the kitchen of his pub in South Tyneside.
Colin Purdy - well-known in the community as the landlord of South Shields' County Hotel in Sunderland Road, suffered burns to his head and upper body after being covered by hot oil.
Mr Purdy was taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary after the explosion, which one eyewitness said was powerful enough to blow the doors open.
The fire was dealt with by South Shields fire and rescue officers, who have launched an inquiry into the incident along with South Tyneside Council's health department.
The Sizzling Pub Company, which owns the County Hotel, said an investigation is under way and that staff's safety at work was a priority.
Copyright © Press Association 2011
Sizzling Pubs Company