Chemical leak at Highland factory
Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2012
A woman was sent to hospital after she was exposed to ammonia at a Scottish industrial factory, according to reports
Dalcross Industrial Estate in Inverness has been cordoned off after the chemical was found to be leaking from one of the buildings on site. A 200 metre exclusion zone was set up by the Northern Constabulary and fire and rescue and ambulance teams attended the scene.
Ammonia is most often used in alkaline-based commercial goods such as glass polish and many cleaning products. In liquid or gas form exposure to the substance can cause burning and fainting. The woman was taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness for treatment to her eyes after exposure to the chemical.
The road from Ardersier to Inverness Airport has been closed with access open via the A96 and police have advised residents to stay away from the area while the clean-up operation takes place.
Copyright Press Association 2012