Corus fined over chimney explosion
Posted Tue, 06 Apr 2010
Steel giant Corus has been fined £16,155 over an explosion in a 75-metre-tall steel chimney in Scunthorpe.
No one was injured in the blast, which happened at Dawes Lane Coke Ovens on 3 October 2007, although four nearby contractors were lucky to escape unharmed, Scunthorpe Magistrates' Court heard.
A subsequent investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the explosion occurred after welding on the chimney ignited an inadequately isolated live gas system, nearly blowing the stack in half.
The company pleaded guilty to multiple breaches of health and safety legislation. It was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £6,155 in costs.
HSE Inspector Helen Berry said: "There were clear breaches relating to safe working and risk assessment, and it's disappointing that a major employer like Corus failed in this regard and endangered the lives of workers."
Copyright © Press Association 2010