Man dies at Halifax Nestle factory
Posted Thu, 15 Mar 2012
Nestle have been fined £180,000 after a worker in one of its factories was killed due to a lack of basic safeguards.
Nazar Hussain was attending to a depalletiser, a conveyor-like machine, when it was turned on by a colleague who did not realising Mr Hussain was inside.
During a Health and Safety Executive investigation, inspectors found that Mr Hussain may have been trying to remove a blockage in the machine that had become stuck, resulting in the alarm going off.
Inspectors discovered that although a safety key was in place to immediately stop the machine, employees did not know what it was for or how to use it, Bradford Crown Court heard.
The incident occurred in the Nestle's factory in Baily Hall, Halifax in December 2008.
Nestle UK Ltd, of St George's House, Croydon, was fined £180,000 and ordered to pay costs of £41,826 after admitting breaking the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
Copyright Press Association 2012